Studies show us that 80% of people want to write a book but never get started; this is a big percentage of people who have something great to share with the world. There are so many things stopping people from getting their idea out of their head, onto paper and into a book.
We look at things around us to determine the outcome of the project we have in mind and that limits us from using our full potential to accomplish most of our goals in life. It is sad that there are so many people out there with great stories, insight, knowledge, experience and skills that will inspire others to do and be better but they are not doing what it takes to write and publish a book.
So what are the limiting factors?
1) Fear: People have the fear of “oh I’m not a writer so I can’t write a book” or “I have never written a book before so I can’t get started” or “I’m not good enough cause what I have to say is not important and who will read it”. These are misconceptions that can be rectified. Get yourself out of that place of fear and I can’t to the place of possibility and knowing that you can do anything you put your mind to. For most people, writing a book feels like an enormous task, and many can’t quite get past the fear and they don’t even get started.
Get rid of the fear and release the book in you and be the author you have always wanted to be.
2) It’s already been done: There is nothing new under the sun so what you have to say is relevant to someone out there in the world. You can bring a new twist to the table on that topic or field which will bring a possible greater light in that area. You have something to say so get it out there. If you don’t write then someone else will. Many people have written books on the same subject for years, look Tony Robins and Les Brown who are both in the same industry of speaking and motivation. They reach their own audience by bringing it from their own point of view and experience in life. So don’t let that stop you from written your book that will touch lives and spread your message to the world.
Yes it’s been done but you can do it again with style.
3) Time: Everyone says there is no time to write because I am busy, I have to go to work all day, I got kids, I have church activities, I am running a business. Well time waits for no one so don’t use it as an excuse. You have to know how to manage your time and get writing. Schedule yourself daily and you will find the time to write at least 1 -2 hours a day.
If you truly want to become an author then you really need to learn how to manage your time when it comes to writing your book. We all have the same time as Tony Robins, Les Brown, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates but they have all written books and they have a very busy and tight schedule compared to some of us. If you really want it that bad then you will put in the work which is effort and time to get it done in the time frame needed.
4) Uncertainty: Many are uncertain about the topic they want to write about, some are uncertain of the type of book they may want to release, most are not sure if they can find their audience and some just don’t know what to write. Sit down, take time out to think on why you want to write a book, how you going to write and if you need coaching writing, Give it a good thought and know what you want before you get started.
Move from the place of uncertainty to the place creativity and see your book come to life.
5) Resources: So many people talk about not having the resources for writing a book as they lack funds. Well you don’t need money to get started, all you need is an idea, your laptop and you are good to go. Spending on the book comes after it is written so start writing first.
6) What others think: You need to stop listening to what others think about you or you will never write that book that’s in you. They may think you can’t write it but you can always prove them wrong. Listen to positive people and kick out the negative people around you.
These are some factors stopping you from writing or even getting started with your book. Overcome these and you will have the confidence to starting and finish your book in no time. You have what it takes so get going and release the book within you.